Re: ISSUE-1011: For role="text", there needs to be requirements on user agents for overrides, such as controls, events, and other global aria properties, like there is for role="presentation".

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 16:36:07 -0500
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>, Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
On 2016-02-02 4:04 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> Basically, if somebody puts it on a container that includes embedded active elements like form fields and links or other interactive widget types, those widgets will still be exposed.
>
> Otherwise, if somebody puts it on a body element, it will render the entire content inaccessible.

The spec for role="text" already has some restrictions, but they are on
the author.  For example,

> Authors SHOULD NOT use the text role on interactive controls (buttons,
> links, etc.) or ancestors of those controls, because it could prevent
> users of assistive technologies from accessing the controls.

At today's AAPI meeting, we felt that should be a requirement on user
agents.  Using the above example:

"User agents MUST NOT respect the text role on interactive controls
(buttons, links, etc.) or ancestors of those controls, because it would
prevent users of assistive technologies from accessing the controls."

There may be other conditions where role="text" masks something
important, where the user agent will choose to ignore the role.  For
example, here is an email exchange with Alex:

I wrote:

> becomes one long flat string.

Alex replied:

[1] http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#text

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -