From: James Nurthen [mailto:james.nurthen@oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2016 12:38 PM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>; public-aria-admin@w3.org
Cc: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: 7-day CfC: notes on option, treeitem, and spinbutton about children presentational - closes 15 June

The caveats need to be created before changing this. As written today it cannot work.

On 6/20/2016 12:36 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:

"Children are presentational cannot work for treeitem, menuitem, menuitemcheckbox and menuitemradio.

These roles are specifically required to have child elements in order to create trees and menus as I detailed in another mail. We cannot add children are presentational to them as it will break every single tree and menu implementation."

This is true in that menuitems can have child menuitems, and treeitems can have child treeitems, however leaving this wide open is still a problem because menuitems cannot have child regions, sliders, checkboxes, buttons, headings, lists, and so on. The same is true with treeitem roles.

It cannot be left wide open like this. So there is still a need to make these children presentational with caveats

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
SSB BART Group, Inc.
bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>