RE: [waf] Draft of merged Web Apps WG charter available

I'm Bcc:ing the AC List because I believe that other AC members may be
interested in my comments, but I don't want WG members to accidentally
cc the AC list.

My comments are mainly that the charter is too broad in scope and too
undefined in deliverables.  The broadness of scope of the current WAF
charter has precluded our organization from significantly participating
in the Working Group, and this rechartering exacerbates the problem
going forward.  In our case, Hal Lockhart is a supremely qualified
person to work on Access Control but has spent little time on that area
of work because the current WAF is so broad in scope.  In another
example, we have other people who are qualified and interested in the
Widgets work but are unable to participate for the same reasons.

The usual solution for the problem of a very broad scope in charter is
to refactor into more WGs with smaller charters.  I prefer that but I'm
also open to other solutions that increase the participation in
deliverying items under the W3C Process.  I'm very uncomfortable with
the current charter scope and single WG process.

As an example of the problems of broad and open scope, I am disappointed
by the way that Access Control was added to the Working Groups
deliverables without AC review and the usual deliverables of
requirements and use cases.  It seems that almost immediately after WAF
was chartered [1] in November 2005, it immediately took over editing the
"Authorizing Read Access to XML Content Using the <?access-control?>
Processing Instruction 1.0" document, as roughly described in [2].  I
realize that the charter says "Given that the rich Web client area is in
a phase of rapid development, the Working Group may become aware of the
urgent need for standardization of a technology not explicitly listed in
this charter, but still in the scope of the Working Group", but I fail
to see why such urgency that an AC review and normal process can be
ignored.  In the Access Control case, it was added almost immediately
after chartering in December 2005 and has been worked on sporadically
since then and we are now at January 2008.  I see considerable evidence
that the specification has "flown low on the radar" and there are still
many differences of opinion about fundamental requirements.  AC review
and publication of Requirements and Use Cases are good triggers for
early review and consensus building, and we did not see those.  This
lack of process on Access Control has meant that we have not tracked the
work nearly as closely as we would have liked, though we are now trying
to rectify that.

I would like the AC consulted whenever a deliverable is added.  I'd like
to see a more rigorous process that includes early publication of
requirements and use cases for each deliverable.

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/appformats/admin/charter.html
[2]