Re: status property for annotations

Bcc'ed to rdf-calendar for info / fishing purposes. Please keep follow-up
to the annotea-dev list.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:16:58 -0500, Marja Koivunen <marja@annotea.org>
wrote:

> Mark Smith wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know of an XML status property that could be used with the
>> Annotation schema?  The idea is to implement simple work flow for
>> annotations that happen to be "change requests" or "action items."
... Bugzilla ...
>> The minimum set of concepts I need are ASSIGNED, RESOLVED, and VERIFIED.
>>
>> iCalendar (RFC 2245) defines a Status property (and there is some work
>> on XML schema for iCal).  But the allowed values for "to do" kinds of
>> items are:  NEEDS-ACTION, COMPLETED, IN-PROCESS, CANCELLED.  This would
>> work fine, except there is no concept similar to VERIFIED.
>>
>> Does anyone know where else to look for this kind of thing?
>>
> This functionality has been on my Annotea extensions list a long time.
> If there is a perfect schema it could be used with Annotea.

The people who have worked on translating iCalendar into RDF in the
rdf-calendar task force will have some of this covered. I wrote some stuff
up once at htp://www.w3.org/2004/01/actions but I no longer recal exactly
how I modelled it, and I probably didn't get it all right. This was for
tracking action items through a series of meetings.

It makes sense to me to start with the stuff for Todo items in iCalendar,
and see what should be added. I think Marja is right that extending some
classes/properties might be desirable for use cases. I also wanted to
extend the iCalendar stuff with a pointer that would show evidence of
status (this is something I find as a pattern - the more I think of using
the semantic web in everyday applications the more I think that it's value
comes in part because that should be an easy thing to do) - i.e. where
someone accepted an action, or the finished piece of work, or whatever.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org