Re: Introduction and internet draft proposal for HTTP response 420 Requester Impaired

--------
Rory Hewitt writes:

> 1. From a purely technical POV, how does this differ from 400 Bad Request,
> which is currently used for this sort of thing - clearly it's up to the
> server to make the decision that the client is 'impaired' rather than just
> sending an invalid request, but how does it do that?

I have one scenario, where certain requests (POST/PUT) are only
allowed if the client comes in through a VPN, whereas GET/HEAD
are publically available.

It would be nice to have a way to tell the client "Forgot something,
did you ?" without resorting to redirection and the many other ways
to ruin the "back" facility in the browser, but you would still
need an out-of-band channel to make the users associate 420 with "duh!"

So yeah, nice idea, and I get the joke, but think 418 has the
"funny status code" market sewn up...