Re: Proposal: Adopt State Synchronization into HTTPbis

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 7:12 PM Michael Toomim <toomim@gmail.com> wrote:

> At IETF 118 I will present a proposal to adopt State Synchronization work into HTTPbis:
>
> Braid-HTTP: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-toomim-httpbis-braid-http [1]

Alas I won't be in Prague to discuss this. Given that there's lots of
applications that might benefit from this that are implementing it
separately, I think it could be useful. I'm pretty on board with
enhancing PATCH: we already have it, making it better is good. I'm
mildly positive about Version history: seems to slot in fairly well
and is mild extension of mechanisms. Merge type header I'm not so sure
about, but I can see that working nicely.

The big sticking point for me is subscriptions. This is a deviation
from the request/response paradigm that goes pretty deep into how
clients and servers are coded and the libraries they use. It can of
course be stuck on top of WebTransport, which might be the right way
to do it, but then doesn't integrate with the other three parts.

You might be better trying to layer this on top of HTTP and
WebTransport, as ugly as that can be with regard to what
intermediaries can do in order to get it into the hands of people
faster, but if there's some strong reason not to do that I'm all ears.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

--
Astra mortemque praestare gradatim