Re: [TLS] New Internet Draft: The qpack_static_table_version TLS extension

Hey Martin,

Some ordered response which roughly match up to your comments, since adding
inline gets really difficult to read after a while :)

1. Yes, I'll mention that this will follow the 'normal' path of IETF
registries (IANA does clerical, IETF does technical).

2. I certainly didn't mean to overstep by suggesting myself as a designated
expert - I'll ensure this section is appropriately vague. But I want to
clarify that the HTTP Archive folks already have all the info we need in
terms of a representative web sample that we can query. The last thing I
would want is for this proposal to be mired in "we need people to do this
complex, time-consuming bit of work, so let's not do it at all". The data
is there and is freely available and is regularly updated.

3. Using "a year" was an example of the timeframe I think makes sense.
There doesn't need to be a schedule as such - new updates to tables and
versions get published when they get published. As noted above, the HTTP
Archive data could be used and I believe a new version of that is published
annually as a BigQuery, so that would be the optimal cadence for
determining whether new headers should be appended to existing table
versions. If the prevalence of the new headers are significant (FSVO
'significant'), such that a new table version would actually make sense,
that would be a decision for the registry maintainers. My gut feeling is
that appending new headers would likely happen every year or so, with a new
version being published every 2-3 years. But that's just a gut feeling -
like I say, there's no schedule.

4. Ah, you saw my bit about deprecation. I added that, then took it out,
then added it, then took it out. It should probably be taken out. Since
we're just talking about a registry, there's no downside to keeping every
prior version in the registry.

5. Good point! 99 is the default value for Version 0. Since each new
version will effectively start out as a re-ordered version of the latest
update of the prior version, then the default value for each version will
be different (but always >= 99). The specific default value for each
version will obviously be available in the registry.

6. Supporting a number of entries less than the default is a really
interesting case that I've been noodling on. Using your scenario, if a
micro client in the year 2030 says that it supports 5,30 and the server
says that it only supports version 2, then they will both use the first 30
entries in Version 2. I guess this could result in sub-optimal performance,
if there is a significant difference between the first 30 entries in v2 and
the first 30 entries in v5, but realistically, I think the first  few
entries (10? 20? 30?) are unlikely to change significantly - they're just
really commonly used. Entry 0 (":authority") is probably always going to be
number 1 :) Another option would be there to be different Types of tables
(Type would be higher than Version) so that e.g. micro clients can always
use a different table which works for them and the servers they think they
are likely to contact. But that migth be getting even more complex for
little benefit.