Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

I'll be elaborating on Roy's post in a bit. Meanwhile, what Roy described as an "accounting problem" is more or less how I figured my COGS (Cost Of Goods Sold) when I was in the ISP/Webhost business. Standard 80% capacity was as good an IRL guideline for infrastructure purchasing, as it was an accounting construct for analyzing provisioning "headroom" as opposed to required "bandwidth". Nowadays I'm into small-scale solar steam generation, out on what was until recently my ranch (still mine, but all hat no cattle now). I'm happy to finally have a use-case for blockchain tech...

Thought I'd chime in on this one, because reading through I didn't see anyone bring up that architecturally, this is akin to a hit counter or skin timer. Clearly Code-on-Demand territory, never gonna be solved at the protocol layer. My billing rate did not change in February when my town was on not just its own backup diesel generator, but also the old kayak and parachute factories' gennys (dope-grows now) because "net metering". Otherwise the local creek winds up in Flaming Gorge Reservoir and the Town (being its own electric utility, in the middle of a dying coal-mining area with coal-fired power plants getting decommissioned) gets hydropower at a discount.

Can't look at my power bill and calculate a carbon footprint. Because they sent a lot of water downstream last year to keep Lake Powell above "dead pool", those dying coal plants were feeding our grid on a temporary basis which is so hard to account for, that it's actually why I say blockchain is the only real solution to Carbon cap-and-trade (I call it NFCT). This is resource territory and makes no more sense as a header than hit-count.

-Eric

lol @Willy for "If I was an end user seeing this, I would probably try to develop a browser plugin to flag sites doing this as greenwashers."

---- On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:00:38 -0700 Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote ---

Hi Bertrand,

It's probably easiest for you and everyone else if you respond in the medium that the comment / question was made, but it's up to you.

As I said before, we're looking for input from folks with expertise on gathering and using this kind of data; concrete use cases / experience will have more weight.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham https://www.mnot.net/