RE: Request-Off-The-Record Mode header

This generally seems useful.

I can foresee some user confusion if a user encountered the interstitial page when visiting the target site in InPrivate/Incognito mode, but I also wouldn't want to skip the interstitial page in those privacy modes (because it could be abused as an oracle that would reveal to the site whether a visitor is using a Private Mode already).

In Chromium-based browsers, browser extensions are disabled by default while in Private Mode. It does not look like you propose to disable extensions from interacting with "Off-the-record" sites?

From: Shivan Kaul Sahib <shivankaulsahib@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2023 2:14 PM
To: public-webappsec@w3.org; HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Request-Off-The-Record Mode header

You don't often get email from shivankaulsahib@gmail.com<mailto:shivankaulsahib@gmail.com>. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
Hi folks, this is a head's up and early request for feedback:

Brave is shipping support for an HTTP response header sent by a website that wants the client to treat the website as "off-the-record" i.e. not store anything in storage, not record the site visit in history etc. Kind of like incognito/private browsing mode but site-initiated and only for a specific website. The header is simple: it would look like `Request-OTR: 1`. Some details here: https://brave.com/privacy-updates/26-request-off-the-record/#request-otr-header. Currently we bootstrap for websites that have expressed interest in this (mainly websites that have help resources for domestic violence victims, which was the driving use-case) by preloading a list of websites into the browser, but it would be nice to standardize the header. We're considering doing the work in the HTTP WG at IETF: it's envisioned to be a simple header.

I see that this idea was previously discussed in W3C WebAppSec: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2015Sep/0016.html, and there was a draft Mozilla spec: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Automatic_Private_Browsing_Upgrades, though as a CSP directive.

Happy to hear what people think.