Re: Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-12: (with COMMENT)

Hi Roman,

Snipping for clarity

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 2:36 PM Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org> wrote:

> [Roman] That’s a key point about no validation practices are being
> standardized.  My confusion is that “This allows the recipient to choose
> which hashing algorithm(s) to use for validation instead of verifying every
> digest” hints at validation practices.  I would recommend something more
> concrete on where local policy might be applied.  Roughly:
>

> OLD
>
> A recipient MAY ignore any or all digests. This allows the recipient to
> choose which hashing algorithm(s) to use for validation instead of
> verifying every digest.
>

> NEW
>
> A recipient MAY ignore any or all digests.  Application-specific behavior
> or local policy MAY set additional constrains on the processing and
> validation practices of the conveyed digests.

Thanks for the concrete suggestion (pun intended). I think this pretty
good. I've opened an issue (
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/2557) to let us track the
matter and a related PR that tweaks your suggestion a little. I've raised
it with the HTTP WG just in case they have any suggestions or comments.
Modulo that we'll incorporate it into a future revision of the document.

Cheers,
Lucas