sfbis - next steps; was: Working Group Last Call: Structured Fields Revision (RFC8941bis)

On 09.05.2023 15:02, Julian Reschke wrote:
> OK, sorry for the late review.
>
> I've done some more work on my implementation
> (https://github.com/reschke/structured-fields); it's almost ready but
> I'm still figuring out how to best select the parser mode. (It now uses
> the updated tests from https://github.com/httpwg/structured-field-tests).
>
> I reviewed the spec and found a few minor issues (see
> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/labels/header-structure - I
> may be able to provide PRs later this week).
>
> I'm still not happy with the move of the ABNF to an appendix; it caused
> at least one editorial issue where the name of an HTTP ABNF definition
> was used before being defined (there may be more).
>
> I do not think this should progress immediately - let's do the final
> steps on the Display String type
> (https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/2494) and incorporate
> that as well.
>
> Best regards, Julian

I reviewed draft-ietf-httpapi-link-template-02 today, and that reminded
me that there are specs in the pipeline still referring to RFC 8941.

FWIW, draft-ietf-httpapi-link-template-02 would benefit from SFBIS if it
incorporated support for non-ASCII characters in strings.

<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/2494> has the current
discussion about that topic. I believe we have *rough* consensus to do
this (and to do that as part of *this* spec revision). I realize that
one of the authors disagrees, but what's relevant here is the Working Group.

I would therefore suggest tp:

- note that SFBIS (mod. minor editorial issues) is "done", except for
the introduction of Display Strings

- merge that PR (<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/2494>)
soonish, as the current discussion in the PR is sort of unstructured

- once that is done, discuss and resolve the minor remaining details in
separate, more fine-grained tickets

Best regards, Julian