Re: I-D Action: draft-martin-http-carbon-emissions-scope-2-00.txt

Hi,

I saw the thread on the HTTP list. I don't object to this idea, but I agree
with Roy Fielding that per-request accounting is imprecise.

The problem I see is that it sort of assumes cloud auto-scaling in AWS,
Azure, GCP, etc. But lots of big operations run their own infrastructure.

Since you work at Sentry, I'm sure you'll be familiar with every day's
traffic graph having roughly three peaks. Once the service is big enough,
these map to the times of day when various continents are simultaneously
awake and using the internet.

If you're using a cloud account, you probably have the auto-scaling
configured correctly. But if you have your own infrastructure, you might
use the extra capacity in the troughs to train ML models, recommendation
algorithms, ad targeting, etc. All done with the aim of keeping the
computers you run at about 80% capacity all of the time.

thanks,
Rob