Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

Roy, I can't bring myself to agree. For two reasons.

First, I know, as a former public-cloud employees, that those operations
already do quite a bit of work on tracking their carbon-loading, and take
into account all that stuff, including amortizing cost of construction and
so on.  So I bet that calls to individual Web services could produce useful
data, and if you're running a lift-and-shift application on a fleet of a
couple hundred of some instance type, you could produce a useful value too.

Second, these days, there are certain classes of requests, for example
those to crypto exchanges and generative-AIs, which have freakishly huge
compute costs, with plausibly-computable carbon-emissions.

So I think this is a useful affordance to provide. Not smart enough to
predict the uptake though. Dependencies include politics.