Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

Hi Bertrand,

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 2:26 PM Bertrand Martin <bertrand@sentrysoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi, (newbie here)
>
> I submitted a new I-D to define a simple HTTP response header field with
> the amount of CO2-eq in grams emitted by the processing of the request and
> the production of the response:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-http-carbon-emissions-scope-2/
>
> Example:
> Carbon-Emissions-Scope-2: 0.0000456
>
> The goal:
> If HTTP servers are able to calculate or estimate this value, it will
> allow clients and applications to assess their Scope 3 carbon emissions. It
> is critical that we define a standard header for reporting this metric to
> help organizations assess the carbon emissions associated to the
> consumption of external services, SaaS, or even a Web site, a Google
> search, a ChatGPT response, etc.
>
> Note: We're talking about Scope-2 emissions only (i.e. associated to the
> electricity consumed while performing the service), because you only need
> to take into account the Scope-2 emissions of your suppliers when you
> estimate your own Scope-3 emissions. See
> https://www.iso.org/standard/66453.html  and
> https://ghgprotocol.org/sites/default/files/standards_supporting/FAQ.pdf
> for more information on Scope 1, 2 and 3.
>
> Any chance this would be looked at by the HTTPbis WG? I believe this could
> transform the industry in how it handles carbon emissions.

Have you considered how this might work where there is a chain of servers
involved in handling a request? We might think of CDNs in this light but it
is also common for servers to sit in front of something like an app server
or cache server. Therefore it could benefit this proposal to make it a list
of values that can comprise the entire lifecycle of a request/response
exchange.

Cheers
Lucas

Thank you!