Re: Digest Headers and Structured Fields

Hey,

On Wed, 2 Feb 2022, 11:57 Roberto Polli, <roberto@teamdigitale.governo.it>
wrote:

> Hi Lucas et al,
>

> Il giorno mer 2 feb 2022 alle ore 10:53 Lucas Pardue
> <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> > , I've prepared a new pull request that sits somewhere between option 2
> and 3.
> > https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/1919
> Thanks Lucas, I will provide some feedback there,
> but  a gdoc might be a better discussion tool
> for a major rewrite like this one.

I don't view this as a major rewrite from an editorial perspective. The
core structure of the document remains the same. Its mainly
s/digest/representation-digest, removal of digest-specific prose,and tidy
up of emergent gaps or basic syntax.

The WG process uses GitHub. We have rendered HTML and diff tools. I don't
see how a gDoc improves anything; rather it would generate more work and
fragmentation. I would push back on that.

> I will try to get some feedback from implementers. I know
> it will take *some* time though :)

To echo some of the questions Annabelle asked, I would ask implementers:

Are you familiar with Structured Fields and the variety of off-the-shelf
parser/serializer libraries ready to use?

If we told you that your current use of Digest is incorrect, would you
change anything?

If yes to change: given that they both express ahash of the same input
data, do you see is any other material difference between Digest and
Represenation-Digest?

Cheers
Lucas