Re: Cache control in trailers?

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> Browsers probably should fix their treatment of truncated content.

That's *exactly* what I thought when I grabbed that work item in the Firefox
code back in 2014. I went into that task with confidence based on the
knowledge that curl is not that lax on these areas. Yeah, I'm that naive! =)

Several months later, after having tried lots of things (that broke the web
experience for a lot of peeps), I mostly gave up [1].

> close on connection during chunked download without 0\r\n\r\n should raise
> some kind of flag.

Back then at least, there were widely used web components that generated such
contents with enough users that we got a fair amount of bug reports when we
tried it. More specifically they often left out the final zero length chunk.

> Same with connection close with C-L prior to advertised number of bytes
> arriving.

It's been a while since I did this of course, but the wrong C-L case was still
then fairly common for gzip-compressed content. At least common enough that we
deemed we couldn't impose this behavior strictly on users.

I don't know if others have revisited these things since I left Mozilla in
late 2018.

[1] =
https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2014/10/26/stricter-http-1-1-framing-good-bye/

--