Re: Cache control in trailers?

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 08:30:42AM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, Adrien de Croy wrote:
>
> > Browsers probably should fix their treatment of truncated content.
>
> That's *exactly* what I thought when I grabbed that work item in the Firefox
> code back in 2014. I went into that task with confidence based on the
> knowledge that curl is not that lax on these areas. Yeah, I'm that naive! =)
>
> Several months later, after having tried lots of things (that broke the web
> experience for a lot of peeps), I mostly gave up [1].
>
> > close on connection during chunked download without 0\r\n\r\n should
> > raise some kind of flag.
>
> Back then at least, there were widely used web components that generated
> such contents with enough users that we got a fair amount of bug reports
> when we tried it. More specifically they often left out the final zero
> length chunk.

As a user, I hate it when an interrupted download is suddenly lost. You
may see an image start to display and suddenly disappear, or a download
breaking at 90% due to your ADSL being flaky and having to try again,
etc. For me each downloaded byte is valuable. Of course I would appreciate
it if my browser asked me "this transfer was interrupted, it may be a bug
on the site, a network condition error or an anti-malware detecting
dangerous content, what do you want to do, try again, try to continue,
abort, keep it truncated ?" and that would be done.

One of the problems with the state of the web today *is* that we try to
focus too much on user experience and avoid as much as possible to mention
possible breakage. If sites started to read everywhere about them causing
popups on browsers on each and every listing of articles on sale because
a CRLF is missing after a chunk, you can be sure that for most important
sites it would already be fixed. As long as we silently fix, users are
happy, and is we break without explanation, users rightfully blame the
browser.

Just my two cents,
Willy