Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

From: Philippe Mougin <pmougin@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 07:45:05 +0100
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>

> Le 19 nov. 2020 à 04:43, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> a écrit
>
> To be clear, this is not intended as a safe, idempotent equivalent to POST. It is intended specifically to cover search/query operations which are often ambiguously represented as GET or POST. I'm not quite sure what a safe idempotent equivalent to POST would even be, but this is not it.

POST is often used to perform operations that are actually safe by nature, and it would be useful to have a method that could express that at the HTTP level. That's what I referred as a "safe/idempotent equivalent to POST". Essentially, such a method would subsume the SEARCH method described in the draft.

Best,
Philippe Mougin