Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020, 12:18 Philippe Mougin <pmougin@acm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I don't support adoption because:
>

> - The introduction provides an inaccurate and self contradictory
> description of GET, as detailed in this message:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2020JulSep/0198.html
>

> - The name of the method appears too restrictive, as a safe and idempotent
> equivalent to POST, which is what the draft essentially defines, would be
> useful beyond search operations.

To be clear, this is not intended as a safe, idempotent equivalent to POST.
It is intended specifically to cover search/query operations which are
often ambiguously represented as GET or POST. I'm not quite sure what a
safe idempotent equivalent to POST would even be, but this is not it.

> I would support the adoption if the introduction was amended and the draft
> was extended beyond providing a SEARCH method to something more generic,
> such as, for instance, a COMPUTE method.

This can be discussed later once the draft is adopted but I'd be a strong
-1 on COMPUTE as a viable method name here.