Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

From: Philippe Mougin <pmougin@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 21:14:19 +0100
Cc: Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Philippe Mougin <pmougin@acm.org>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

Hello,

I don't support adoption because:

- The introduction provides an inaccurate and self contradictory description of GET, as detailed in this message: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2020JulSep/0198.html

- The name of the method appears too restrictive, as a safe and idempotent equivalent to POST, which is what the draft essentially defines, would be useful beyond search operations.

I would support the adoption if the introduction was amended and the draft was extended beyond providing a SEARCH method to something more generic, such as, for instance, a COMPUTE method.

Best,

Philippe Mougin