Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

> On 5 Nov 2020, at 17:45, Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com> wrote:
>
> The draft says "The response to a SEARCH request is not cacheable.".  Why is that?  Semantically, it seems that caching keyed by the request body should behave correctly.
>
> RFC 7234 says "it is also possible to cache ... responses to methods other than GET if the method's definition allows such caching and defines something suitable for use as a cache key.".
>
> Without support for caching, I don't have any reason to prefer this method over POST.  With support for caching, this would have been very useful in DoH.

I also had concerns about this.

My guess is that this comes from overlooking the browser as one of the most
important caches around, especially with the move to TLS everywhere.

A browser should be able to implement some of the query languages directly
so that if it has a representation locally it can query that representation
without downloading the remote one.

Henry