Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

From: Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 11:45:02 -0500
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>
The draft says "The response to a SEARCH request is not cacheable.".  Why
is that?  Semantically, it seems that caching keyed by the request body
should behave correctly.

RFC 7234 says "it is also possible to cache ... responses to methods other
than GET if the method's definition allows such caching and defines
something suitable for use as a cache key.".

Without support for caching, I don't have any reason to prefer this method
over POST.  With support for caching, this would have been very useful in
DoH.