Re: Migrating some high-entropy HTTP headers to Client Hints.

Speaking personally --

I could see splitting out the various task-specific bits into separate documents (e.g., images).

However, it's not good to ship a framework like this without having it actually working for a real-world use case, so even if we split out all of the various CHs into separate docs, I think we'd need to hold the "main" document until at least one of those is ready.

Just a thought -- replacing User-Agent is probably suitable for that test case (in addition to the image-focused stuff, or perhaps instead of it). If we do decide to do that, it might be suitable to put it in the core document, since that seems like it's pretty central to what's going on here (the current claims in the document about not replacing UA notwithstanding).

Chair hat on -- what I did notice was that when the update for CH was read in Bangkok, *many* WG participants expressed surprise at the direction you were taking it in; most people seemed to think that this document was almost done in its current form, and there was concern that forming WG consensus on that was being disregarded. So whatever you do here, please make sure you get buy-in on the list, and make sure you coordinate with the chairs. Continuing this discussion and moving towards a common idea of what the doc(s) should include, when we should ship them, etc. sounds like a good start.

Cheers,

Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/