Re: Migrating some high-entropy HTTP headers to Client Hints.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:47 AM Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 1:30 AM Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>
>> I, for one, welcome our new Client Hint overlords.
>>
>> Personally, I'd like to see these integrated into the current CH
>> document, rather than as separate drafts. CH still needs some work, so it's
>> not like we're going to get it out the door tomorrow.

On my list, I want to remove the specific image-related features and move
them to their own specification, with a well defined browser processing
model.
Anything else that's needed to get CH infra "out the door tomorrow"? :)

> These hints seem pretty clearly separable from the infrastructure upon
> which they're built. I'd prefer to split them out into things-in-themselves
> that we can point developers towards independently, giving ourselves the
> opportunity to explain the rationale and background more coherently than I
> think we'll be able to if we bury these in a subsection of the larger
> document.

Similarly, I'd prefer clear distinctions between "CH as infrastructure" and
"Features that use the CH infrastructure".
We've had a lot of confusion and resistance to "CH the infrastructure" due
to some of the features that rely on it, and clearly separating the two
will enable implementations and user-agents to say "I support the CH
infrastructure, and certain features relying on it, but not feature X".

>From a procedural perspective, we wouldn't want every added feature to
delay "CH as infrastructure" to advance.