Re: http2: what is the purpose of the "reserved" states?

You correctly identified the key difference, which is that the stream
accounting counts half-closed streams, but not reserved streams.  The
reason we ended up in this state was to avoid hitting limits for
promises.  If you limit server push by applying a stream limit, then
you prevent it from being used in time for the client to use it.

I can theorize that this is all predicated on the notion that headers
are close to free.  This theme is consistent throughout HTTP/2, and
while it's obviously false, it informs much of the design.