Re: HTTP/2 Upgrade with content?

On 14 March 2015 at 01:04, Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se> wrote:

> The issue with the curl usecase using upgrade is that all the upgrade work
>> is essentially wasted effort - as the bulk upload is done with HTTP/1.1,
>>

> Yes, but... for example, what if that is the first operation out of
> several, and then once the first operation has updated to version 2 all the
> subsequent ones can continue using HTTP/2. And since the upgrade, it would
> just work with 1.1 servers as we all as 2 servers without the client having
> to know before-hand.
>
> And in the end, we usually allow curl to exercise every possible protocol
> option that is valid (and sometimes also a few that aren't valid) to allow
> people like readers of this list to test out and torture our own and others
> servers!

Daniel,

So if curl is asked to use http2 on multiple requests and the upgrade is
rejected on the first one, will it still proceed to the next request and if
so will it attempt the upgrade again?  Or is it going to fail the first
request because the desired protocol was not used?

If implemented like that, the multiple requests would work and the upgrade
would be done as soon as the server saw an acceptable request on which it
was prepared to do the update.

Users who wanted to insist that a specific POST was HTTP/2 could insert a
small request prior to ensure an acceptable upgrade takes place before the
upload.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*