Re: HTTP/2 Upgrade with content?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 23:27:49 +0100 (CET)
To: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
cc: "Jason T. Greene" <jason.greene@redhat.com>, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> So if curl is asked to use http2 on multiple requests and the upgrade is
> rejected on the first one, will it still proceed to the next request and if
> so will it attempt the upgrade again?  Or is it going to fail the first
> request because the desired protocol was not used?

It'll try again on the next request.

> If implemented like that, the multiple requests would work and the upgrade
> would be done as soon as the server saw an acceptable request on which it
> was prepared to do the update.

Yes it should work fine.

> Users who wanted to insist that a specific POST was HTTP/2 could insert a
> small request prior to ensure an acceptable upgrade takes place before the
> upload.

Right, could be done already today yes.

If lots of servers end up ignoring POST/PUT with 1.1+Upgrade then I guess we
might consider implementing some sort of work-around for it like the mentioned
OPTION * trick or whatever. Even though we potentially lose an RTT with it.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se