Re: HTTP/2 Upgrade with content?

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Greg Wilkins wrote:

>> Why not attempt a PRI with the explicit http2 option?
>
> Yes that would be a lot better and we already support it in jetty.

Sure, curl will support that too soon but I think that is beside the point. In
this case users can use this option on virtually any server without knowing
whether it supports version 2 or not. Like Upgrade: is supposed to work!

> The issue with the curl usecase using upgrade is that all the upgrade work
> is essentially wasted effort - as the bulk upload is done with HTTP/1.1,

Yes, but... for example, what if that is the first operation out of several,
and then once the first operation has updated to version 2 all the subsequent
ones can continue using HTTP/2. And since the upgrade, it would just work with
1.1 servers as we all as 2 servers without the client having to know
before-hand.

And in the end, we usually allow curl to exercise every possible protocol
option that is valid (and sometimes also a few that aren't valid) to allow
people like readers of this list to test out and torture our own and others
servers!

--

  / daniel.haxx.se