Re: HTTP/2 Upgrade with content?

Well, this discussion quickly dove into the quantum foam between specification and deployed software.

I take away from it:
- that protocol switching happens immediately after the 101 response - for the downstream. On the upstream it switches after the request has been read. Pretty obvious in hindsight, as those things are.
- servers should be predictable in upgrading, either always with content or only without.
- the common use case for upgrade on POST does not benefit from h2c and this it seems not worth the effort to implement. Fullfilling the request on HTTP/1.1 format seems to work fine.
- maybe a mixed 1.1 up and h2c down request could be made to work, but there seems no gain for anyone in creating this mythical beast.

//Stefan

> Am 13.03.2015 um 15:04 schrieb Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>:
>
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Greg Wilkins wrote:
>
>>> Why not attempt a PRI with the explicit http2 option?
>>
>> Yes that would be a lot better and we already support it in jetty.
>
> Sure, curl will support that too soon but I think that is beside the point. In this case users can use this option on virtually any server without knowing whether it supports version 2 or not. Like Upgrade: is supposed to work!
>
>> The issue with the curl usecase using upgrade is that all the upgrade work
>> is essentially wasted effort - as the bulk upload is done with HTTP/1.1,
>
> Yes, but... for example, what if that is the first operation out of several, and then once the first operation has updated to version 2 all the subsequent ones can continue using HTTP/2. And since the upgrade, it would just work with 1.1 servers as we all as 2 servers without the client having to know before-hand.
>
> And in the end, we usually allow curl to exercise every possible protocol option that is valid (and sometimes also a few that aren't valid) to allow people like readers of this list to test out and torture our own and others servers!

I think they call it "enhanced interrogation" nowadays.

<green/>bytes GmbH
Hafenweg 16, 48155 Münster, Germany