Re: h2 priority

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
wrote:

> the intent to ship it to customers on a rushed schedule.

I disagree that 2.5 years in committee is rushed by any definition. Some
folks can't be bothered to generate running code or sometimes even comment
for much of that time; but that pattern persists in any group no matter the
term or the people (I too am guilty at times.)

I'm also quite confident that more time in committee will not make this any
better. Heck, the last iteration literally rearranged the 0 bits.

Over the last couple of years it has been openly vetted and tweaked and the
definition has been made significantly more robust. Alternatives were
considered, but nothing better has been implemented. This is a useful
process but one which has now run its course and is ready for a successful
conclusion: publishing of a stable open standard to facilitate wide
interop. That outcome does not preclude also working on something more
speculative.

The prototype protocol now carries over 1/3 of my HTTP transactions in
production - many others are waiting for a stable and open standard to work
with before joining the party. The only question left is really whether the
IETF is institutionally capable of providing that standard or another venue
will have to step up and fill that gap in this case. I certainly hope it
can - we'll find out soon.

-Patrick