Re: #537: Remove segments (consensus call)

From: David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:57:48 +0800
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

On 2014–07–02, at 1:02 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> It sounds like we're leaning towards removing it - can people live with that?

As I noted in the other thread and on GitHub, segments are redundant with midstream headers. Both require data not to be coalesced across a boundary, and weakly suggest that intermediaries should flush. Neither work over HTTP/1.1.

I have no complaint about removal, but “deprecation in favor” might be better terminology.