Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:08:14 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:38:36PM +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >I want to clarify the text above... Do we want to mandate (i.e., use
> >MUST) 1. gzip or 2. gzip+deflate ?
>
> The gzip format is a container format and the container includes data
> like filename, operating system, checksums, timestamps, comments, and
> a DEFLATE stream with the compressed data.

The other difference is the use of the faster adler32 checksum in deflate
instead of crc32 in gzip, so *if* we want to mandate something, deflate
is cheaper for both ends. That said, I'm still very concerned that we
want to mandate such antique bit-oriented algorithms which are extremely
slow and memory invasive while we have many much better ones such as
snappy, lz4, quicklz and I-don't-know-what which are much more friendly
for both ends and better suited for the 21th century's machines and
networks.

Willy