Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

* Martin Thomson wrote:
>Mark raises a point on which the spec is a little vague:
>
>https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/404
>--
>9.3 GZip Content-Encoding says:
>
>Clients MUST support gzip compression for HTTP request bodies.
>Regardless of the value of the accept-encoding header field, a server
>MAY send responses with gzip or deflate encoding.
>
>... Is it both gzip and deflate (which last I checked, some clients
>don't support)? If so, the first sentence and section title should be
>changed to reflect this.
>--
>
>I think that this is largely inherited from SPDY, but I get the sense
>that there is support for the concept in general.
>
>I want to clarify the text above... Do we want to mandate (i.e., use
>MUST) 1. gzip or 2. gzip+deflate ?

The gzip format is a container format and the container includes data
like filename, operating system, checksums, timestamps, comments, and
a DEFLATE stream with the compressed data. The overhead is not really
useful in this context, so mandating only gzip but not raw DEFLATE
support would be bad. Mandating both is okay, gzip is fairly trivial.