Re: Mark's coalescing proposal

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 11:20:27 +0100
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
On 01 Feb 2014, at 05:25, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> whether the MAY ought to be a SHOULD; i.e., when possible, clients are encouraged

There is a wide spectrum between MAY (whatever you want) and SHOULD (you really have to have one of the following documented reasons not to).  This strikes me as a quality of implementation expectation, not an interoperability mandate, so maybe wording with “clients are encouraged” is actually appropriate.

Grüße, Carsten

(Meta note: it is a deficiency that 2119 does not discuss the subject of quality of implementation expectations, and even 6919 only skirts the issue.)