Re: Mark's coalescing proposal

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 11:29:44 +1100
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>

On 1 Feb 2014, at 9:20 pm, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:

> On 01 Feb 2014, at 05:25, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>
>> whether the MAY ought to be a SHOULD; i.e., when possible, clients are encouraged
>
> There is a wide spectrum between MAY (whatever you want) and SHOULD (you really have to have one of the following documented reasons not to).  This strikes me as a quality of implementation expectation, not an interoperability mandate, so maybe wording with “clients are encouraged” is actually appropriate.

We've used SHOULD to encourage behaviour with good network effects / social benefit before -- e.g., sending caching metadata. Personally, I think this falls in the same bucket; the client's behaviour here has strong impact on the network and server (indeed, the network impact is one of the major reasons we're doing /2).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/