Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> CDNs, accelerators/caches, traffic-optimizers/traffic-shapers have
> usecases that wouldn't require the browser to give up any confidentiality
> (that the site didn't direct them to do, at least).

I'm going to ignore the CDN case, since I don't think they're explicit
proxies from a UA's perspective (unless I'm misunderstanding). How do you
serve cached content without knowing the URL of the resource? Are you
differentiating between object confidentiality and metadata (URL/headers)
confidentiality here? I think these questions apply to the other use cases
you refer to, but am not completely sure.

> For enterprises, the new trend is apparently to allow users to use their
> personal devices. These devices would be outside the normal administrative
> chain and would likely cause headaches.

I agree using personal devices would likely cause headaches. But you're not
saying explicit proxies solves this somehow, do you? If so, I missed it.