Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM, William Chan (陈智昌)
<willchan@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> CDNs, accelerators/caches, traffic-optimizers/traffic-shapers have
>> usecases that wouldn't require the browser to give up any confidentiality
>> (that the site didn't direct them to do, at least).
>>

> I'm going to ignore the CDN case, since I don't think they're explicit
> proxies from a UA's perspective (unless I'm misunderstanding). How do you
> serve cached content without knowing the URL of the resource? Are you
> differentiating between object confidentiality and metadata (URL/headers)
> confidentiality here? I think these questions apply to the other use cases
> you refer to, but am not completely sure.

As proposed in one of the drafts, if the content-provider provides metadata
indicating that a resource can be served from a cache and a means of
authenticating it, then the UA can access a proxy via a TLS connection.
Only the proxy and the site and the UA thus know what was being requested.
If we wish for these requests to be made via HTTP/2, then, for the
web-browsing case over the internet, then we'll be extremely likely to be
using TLS
Since one would like to retain as much confidentiality as possible, sending
a request for the resource completely in the clear would not be optimal,
even if deploying HTTP/2 in the clear works for the web-browsing case over
the internet on port 80.

>> For enterprises, the new trend is apparently to allow users to use their
>> personal devices. These devices would be outside the normal administrative
>> chain and would likely cause headaches.
>>

> I agree using personal devices would likely cause headaches. But you're
> not saying explicit proxies solves this somehow, do you? If so, I missed it.

Enterprises like these have three choices:
1) Disallow access to such devices
2) Force users to install root certs
3) Force users to configure a proxy explicitly.

Arguably #3 is the best, from both the enterprise, site and user
perspective as setting up an explicit proxy should be easier than
installing a root cert for both enterprise and user, and the site now gets
signaled about the presence of a proxy.

-=R