Re: HTTP 2.0 mandatory security vs. Amateur Radio

Nicolas, you're absolutely right. Deploying something that isn't part of
the commonly accepted subset of HTTP/1.1 over port 80 doesn't work.

As an example, if you attempt to use a different entity-body compression,
for instance (something explicitly part of the HTTP/1.1 protocol), you will
find that the internet will have occasionally transform either the headers
or the entity-body or both, resulting in an uninterpretable and broken
resource received at the client.
Yes, this really happened, and oh my was it a pain to debug. In the end,
despite being far better for the user, this feature was disabled for port
80 because it was not deployable.

And yes, you are also right that people have attempted to use other
protocols over port 80, and that proved problematic: The most interesting
of which is probably WebSockets. As mentioned previously this essentially
doesn't work.

That leaves us with either using a new port (infeasible, failure rate still
in high 10%s) or doing something else so as to be able to deploy.
What is the something else would you suggest?

-=R