Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-httpbis-alt-svc-00.txt

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:

>  It does seem that someone should answer the question, "Why not use DNS
> for this?"  There's even a reasonable answer, which is that because this is
> a header, you are piggybacking it with data.

Also, the proposal calls out:

     "Potentially, there are many ways that a client could discover the
alternate service(s) associated with an origin; this document currently
defines one, the Alt-Svc HTTP Header Field (Section
3<https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=4eec3a08b8&view=att&th=141bb1ffe146a105&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-Vj6Fz34Aqfn-A88HAaDut&sadet=1381863805889&sads=n52BEL0aHy8e1yfX6ATY1reYbCA#0.1_alt-svc>
)."
It would seem logical then that DNS could *also* be used for this with the
same alt-svc data schema and semantics, with the values obtained via DNS
and piggybacked with data being merge-able, as per:

     "Note that priorities are not specific to the mechanism that an
alternate was discovered with; i.e., there is only one “pool” of priorities
for an origin."
Piggybacking this with the HTTP response/data may have a lower deployment
barrier than introducing a new DNS RR type, plus there may be some ways of
using this that are not possible via the DNS.

      Erik