Re: Performance implications of Bundling and Minification on HTTP/1.1

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> HTTP predates gzip and cookies. The notion that such a choice had anything
> to do with optional features is just silly. It is optional because it
> barely even worked in practice until 1999 and certainly wasn't feasible as
> a default until a few years after that as CPU capability increased.

I'm sorry if this offends - it wasn't intended as a dig against HTTP.

The point is that the #1 performance impact in this test was compression,
which optional in HTTP, and that optional features are not used as widely
as they could be.

Mike