Re[2]: multiplexing -- don't do it

------ Original Message ------
From: "Roberto Peon" <grmocg@gmail.com>
To: "Peter Lepeska" <bizzbyster@gmail.com>;"Mark Nottingham"
<mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "tom" <zs68j2ee@gmail.com>;"patrick mcmanus"
<pmcmanus@mozilla.com>;"ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 8/04/2012 10:33:43 a.m.
Subject: Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

>On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com> wrote:
> HTTP over UDP also allows us to imagine the speed ideal -- a two
> round trip web page load, one request for root/click request and
> concurrent requests for all contained objects.

 The ideal is actually one round trip, plus page_bytes/link_bandwidth.

  If this is done over a reliable UDP each object can have independent
  packet accounting so problems retrieving it anywhere along the path
  has no impact on other objects. It's the fastest, most robust way to
  load a page. Pages without content inter-dependencies, super large
  objects, slow javascripts, and fast web servers (a lot of ifs I know)
  could load on first time visits in under 100 ms over high bandwidth,
  low latency networks. Nice!
  Of course there are lots of new problems created by moving away from
  a connection-oriented transport in general and TCP in particular but
  this was a question about the advantages.

 There are very large and scary beasts in the waters of the unexplored
 country of defining an application-layer transport without regard to
 larger factors such as... not crashing the internet, and that is
 without considering how to deal with packet loss :)

 I'd propose that, while such things are interesting, solving a
 transport problem is decidedly not in scope of the WG.
+1

UDP can be quite interesting for certain custom applications in
controlled environments.  But throw in routers, firewalls and the
internet, and it's just not reliable enough... esp considering UDP
datagram fragmentation.

Adrien