Re: HTTP -> Messages -> Transport factoring

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> It seems like a set of deliverables for us could then be:
>
> 1. A format for HTTP messages that shows how to get one into a set of
> bits, but doesn't show how to get those bits onto a transport protocol
> 2. A specification of how to get those messages across a reliable,
> in-order, not-multiplexed transport
> 3. Details of #2 on TCP
>
> leaving the specification of #2 on other suitable transports for future /
> other work, as well as leaving #1 on multiplexed transport for future /
> other work.
>
> How do people feel about this? In particular, is the separation between #2
> and #3 necessary and good? Does anyone want to attempt more in this WG (I'm
> hearing many people saying "no")?

I think you're basically talking about sections 2 & 3 of the SPDY spec?
 I'm okay with that, and I think any reasonable protocol will do this as a
mechanism to ensure reasonable HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/2.0 transition.

In general, I think we should stop talking about unknown transports or
transports which we don't think are targets (and I put SCTP into this
category).  Designing for transports that don't exist is likely to make our
implementations on the transports that do exist (TCP) watered down or
worse.  In other words, the least-common-denominator sucks....  Further,
NOBODY is going to implement HTTP/2.0 on the unknown transport.  So
whatever we do design for these unknown transports will be untested and
purely theoretical.

Mike