Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the main reason for the benefit? If it's just that SCTP is less of
> a good citizen in how it handles a lost packet and backs off slower than
> TCP then it's not something to get excited about. Have you done much
> analysis to explore the reason for SCTP being faster?

I believe it's due to unrealistic packet loss simulation.  The 1%/2% loss
is inaccurate (and in the wrong place for mobile networks, where this
happens below the transport) and the modeling of packet loss as random is
unrealistic (real internets don't randomly lose packets that much - its
much more correlated due to buffer overruns).  The net result is that SCTP
looks awesome with random loss, because it picks up packets that otherwise
would have been head-of-line blocked.  But, I don't believe this has
anything to do with the real world.

Sorry to condense over a year of SPDY research with packet loss into three
sentences :-)  I need to write all this stuff up.

Mike