Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Might as well list all my complaints about SPDY in one spot:
>
>    1. Inter-object dependency due to using a history based compression
>    scheme where you need to receive every object in order it was sent to
>    decode the last header. This guarantees HOL blocking even if the transport
>    supports out of order messages.
>
> What benefit are you getting by removing it which justifies a slower
mobile experience for users?  All of the proposals for HTTP/2.0 used
stateful, order dependent compressors.

>    1. SPDY needs to allow headers to be readable by intermediaries. I
>    don't mind the mostly binary approach proposed in Willy's document as
>    parsers can be developed for wireshark and similar tools.
>
> SPDY does not prevent intermediaries from reading headers, but I don't
know why you think this is a requirement.  I think you're making proxy
scalability more important than user latency, and that is not the tradeoff
I would make.  Speed effects all users, proxies effect a small fraction of
users.   The argument for proxy scalability is also weak and unproven -
compression and decompression is trivial, and not even on the radar for the
google servers as a problem.  The CPU savings of the 6x reduction in number
of connections completely eclipses the tiny CPU use of the compressor.

>    1. HTTPS required -- to me that's a showstopper. Have to do this in
>    two steps: deploy muxing, which removes the main performance penalty of
>    HTTPS, and then go for security.

SPDY doesn't require HTTP as specified.  So you should be happy with its
current form.  However, I think it should require HTTPS, as there is
tangible user benefit to securing the web today.   But I've ranted on this
topic enough elsewhere :-)

Mike