Re: Security considerations for DNS rebinding

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Amit Klein <aksecurity@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>>> I see some specific IE vulnerabilities cited here which allow the Host header to be forged via request splitting over a proxy: <http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/411585> It also cites some old Mozilla bugs that enabled header injection. And also some Flash vulnerabilities
>>>
>>> Do these vulnerabilities or any similar ones still exist in current versions of browsers or in Flash?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of.  Put another way, all the user agents that have
>> those vulnerabilities also have known arbitrary code execution
>> vulnerabilities, so it's not really worth worrying about.
>
> I don't want to split hairs here, but the fact that browsers had
> remote command execution bugs (which were probably fixed) doesn't mean
> that the less critical issue of Host header forging was addressed.

Indeed.  What I meant is that all the versions of user agents that I
know of that are vulnerable to Host header spoofing are also
vulnerable to arbitrary code execution, which trumps host header
checking.  :)

> Anyway, was http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/466906 ever addressed in IE?

I believe so.

The integrity of the Host header appears to be a security property
user agent vendors are willing to ensure by providing security updates
when they notice violations.  In this business, that's the best we can
hope for.

Adam