Re: allowable characters in token as used in parameter ABNF

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:40:12 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> If we do this, we'd really like to do this consistently in both
>> draft-nottingham-http-link-header and draft-reschke-rfc2231-in-http,
>> and potentially even define it in HTTPbis (maybe just as a recommended
>> syntax component for new header fields).
>
> Don't many headers accept more bytes there? E.g. cookie related headers.

Indeed, Cookies (as specced in RFC 2109) use that pattern as well.

> Making HTTP more flexible makes sense to me. Or maybe study some
> existing implementations first to see how this is commonly implemented.

Well, so far we're not discussing any normative change to HTTP/1.1
itself; but for two new IDs draft use this pattern.

But we may want to add this as advice for new header definitions.

> Do many use a generic parser?

That's a good question.

Even if it's not the case today it would be cool if it could be done at
least for new stuff.

BR, Julian