Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

Am 16.09.2008 um 15:19 schrieb Jamie Lokier:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> So my concern is that we use two different types of ETags on the same
>> resource.
>
> I agree, this is a good point.
>
> Why use the Etag header for resumable POSTs?  If Etags are used (and
> why not - it's handy not to have to carve out special URL space), I
> still don't see any advantage to using the ETag _header_ for it in
> resumed POSTs, as opposed to inventing a Resume-POST header.

Not that it is important, but *I* do not understand why there is a
discussion about a new protocol feature when URI space management is
able to solve the problem most elegantly. URI usage seems even easier
for clients, so the burden is on the server implementation where
there are not so many.

The use case I heard about is adding resumable upload to a cloud at
the very edge by some sort of server proxy. Such a proxy is not
master of the served namespace and cannot simply invent new URIs. So
such proxy would need additionally a namespace of their own, but that
does not sound like a show stopper. It would allow for load
balancing, as was already mentioned here.

If someone would be so kind as to help me overcome my ignorance in
this matter? Thanks.

//Stefan

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782