Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

Julian Reschke wrote:
> - most of the time, resources that support POST for upload have a
> GETtable representation
>
> - these representations (again, most of the time), are not those of
> previous upload, but a form, a collection listing, or both
>
> - so the resource posted to has a very different nature from those it
> creates
>
> - if, for GET/HEAD, the resource assigns and supports ETags, they have a
> very different purpose than those assigned for resumable uploads, and
> those will need to be distinguished upon GET -- so some If-Match headers
> will cause conneg, some won't
>
> So my concern is that we use two different types of ETags on the same
> resource.

I agree, this is a good point.

Why use the Etag header for resumable POSTs?  If Etags are used (and
why not - it's handy not to have to carve out special URL space), I
still don't see any advantage to using the ETag _header_ for it in
resumed POSTs, as opposed to inventing a Resume-POST header.

-- Jamie