Re: i28 proposed replacement text

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>> Can we rephrase that without using the term "emitter" (is the the same
>> as "sender"?), and without brackets?
>
> The complete proposal was "the server" (without brackets or quotes..)
>
>> Do we have consensus for at least making the first part of the change
>> (with "[the emitter]" being replaced as suggested below)?
>
> It's a +1 from me.

Going back to <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/28>,
MNot also suggested a change to 3.4:

> p1 3.4, "Transfer Codings":
>
> Whenever a transfer-coding is applied to a message-body, the set of transfer-codings MUST include "chunked", unless the message indicates it is terminated by closing the connection.

Which sounds right to me.

So my proposal would be:

Section 3.4., paragraph 5:
OLD:

    Whenever a transfer-coding is applied to a message-body, the set of
    transfer-codings MUST include "chunked", unless the message is
    terminated by closing the connection.  When the "chunked" transfer-
    coding is used, it MUST be the last transfer-coding applied to the
    message-body.  The "chunked" transfer-coding MUST NOT be applied more
    than once to a message-body.  These rules allow the recipient to
    determine the transfer-length of the message (Section 4.4).

NEW:

    Whenever a transfer-coding is applied to a message-body, the set of
    transfer-codings MUST include "chunked", unless the message indicates
    it is terminated by closing the connection.  When the "chunked"
    transfer-coding is used, it MUST be the last transfer-coding applied
    to the message-body.  The "chunked" transfer-coding MUST NOT be
    applied more than once to a message-body.  These rules allow the
    recipient to determine the transfer-length of the message
    (Section 4.4).

Section 4.4:
OLD:

    2.  If a Transfer-Encoding header field (Section 8.7) is present,
        then the transfer-length is defined by use of the "chunked"
        transfer-coding (Section 3.4), unless the message is terminated
        by closing the connection.

NEW:

    2.  If a Transfer-Encoding header field (Section 8.7) and the
        "chunked" transfer-coding (Section 3.4) is used, the transfer-
        length is defined by the use of that this transfer-coding.  If
        the "chunked" transfer-coding is not present, the transfer-length
        is defined by the sender closing the connection.

See also
<http://www.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/28/i28.diff>.

BR, Julian