Re: New Status Code -- 2xx Greedy Hotel?

On 15/03/2007, at 4:20 PM, Eric Lawrence wrote:

> I'm not sure why a 403 isn't appropriate (or at least more
> appropriate for 409) for this case?

If an automated agent (e.g., RSS aggregator) sees a 403, they might
take some action on it (e.g., unsubscribing, or calling the feed
'dead'), because they think that the resource itself has a problem.
Not sure if that's a huge issue, it could probably be handled well if
everyone gravitated towards 403 as the solution for this particular
problem. It seems to me that it's mostly a matter of education, and a
distinct status code might make that easier.

I agree that 403, or maybe 400, is the best existing status code to
use. 409 doesn't seem appropriate at all.

> In my mind, the much more interesting question is how to handle a
> HTTPS connection in this scenario.  The hotel never provides a
> certificate which correctly validates (since they can't get a
> wildcard certificate that matches every link the user might choose
> to initially visit).   The resulting certificate name mismatch
> leads to error dialogs, failed navigations, etc.

Good question. Most of the ones I've seen recently redirect initially
to a non-HTTPS site to avoid the certificate mismatch popup.